lundi, février 14, 2005

According to Mel Levine, author of Ready or Not, Here Life Comes, today’s youth is not taught serious decision-making skills.

And thank goodness, because for a while there I was thinking it was my fault.

Pursuant to my following my boyfriend around, like the good girlfriend and NICE PERSON I am, I now have three job opportunities in places he has been. And because I refuse to make a decision without agonizing at every opportunity, I am now completely stressed out over which job is my Soul-Mate Job. So I just thought I’d put it out there, in the hopes that complete strangers might know what’s best for me better than I do.

The Sure Thing:
Pro: I love my job.
Con: It’s in Arizona.
But: I already have it, which means that it requires no work to obtain.
But: It’s in Arizona.
But: It would be really mean and self-serving to leave this job after three months (…right?), especially when their Editor-in-Chief is on bed rest (…right?).
But: They just printed up my business cards. Guess what they say. “Lowly Peon of an Assistant Editor.”
But: I love my job.
But: I might love another job just as much! ...faithless job-whore that I am.

The Doggy Treat:
Pro: It’s in the Promised Land, California!
Con: Would have to leave job I love.
But: I would probably love this job too!
And: Might get doggy treats and other cool doggy accessories as employee of doggy magazine!
But: They probably want me to start before May. And, like, that doesn’t work with my boyfriend’s schedule.
And: Pay is unconscionable. Unconscionable, I tell you!
But: It’s in California.
And: The position is Associate Editor. As in, I associate with you, rather than I grovel at your feet like the unworthy assistant I am.
But: Am probably wasting valuable time worrying about a job I don’t have yet.
But: It’s a consumer magazine rather than trade, which is what I’m more interested in.
But: Editor sounded pissy on the phone when I talked to her.
But: Editor-in-Chief sounded really nice!
And: This could be the only good job in Southern California!

The Fabuleux:
Pro: I would, once again, be fabulous. Swiss Alps, here I come.
Pro: Title: Senior Writer. ‘Sup now, b*tch?
Con: Paid under the table and could be arrested by Swiss government at any time.
Pro/Con (?): Editor-in-Chief refers to me as “g-spot.” (G referring to my initials…I hope.)
Con: No waves on Lake Léman.
Pro: I and my French-speaking abilities would be fabulous, fabulous, fabulous.
Con: $$$ plane ticket to Genève, land of gorgeous countryside, delectable food, ridiculously expensive cost of living, and stores that are only open for two hours a day.

I mean, I like what I have. It treats me well. Makes me feel good about myself. Challenges me. But I’m just not sure it’s The One. You know? What if there’s another job out there that will treat me better, inspire me more, challenge me to grow and know myself better, and have great benefits? I don’t want to just settle.

So, people. What’s it gonna be?

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Hey "G-spot" (that made me laugh hard). I thought I might as well give you some unsolicited advice since I like to be bossy. From reading through your blog, I see that you have traveled a great deal (something I think is imperative, especially for young people like yourself). I think the Geneva job wouldn't be the best thing for you right now (mostly due to cost of living), although I could just be saying this out of jealous since I don't have jobs in foreign countries waiting for me.

What I would suggest is that you stay where you are for a little while. Three months hasn't given you much time to really stretch yourself and prove all the wonderful things you can do there. Plus, it doesn't look that great on a resume to be jumping around from one job to another (which is ironic that I am saying this; you'd know what I meant if you saw my resume!). While I love SoCal more than anything, I know that with your talent and experience, you'll be able to find something great out here when the time is right.

I happen to be a big believer in signs (no, not the movie "Signs"). I think you'll just KNOW when the time to move on is right.

Then again, I don't know you and could be totally talking out my ass.

I hope you continue writing, btw. I LOVE your style. Hilarious.

10:32 PM  

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home

This site is registered with Blogarama.